Cabbage is an extremely versatile vegetable that has been welcomed by many different cultures into a slew of delicious recipes. To express just how amenable cabbage is in the kitchen, look at just how diverse the following food items that incorporate this vegetable are:
- Stir Fry
In addition to being a resourceful vegetable, cabbage also has a ton of health benefits, contributing to the reasons why it’s so revered at farmers’ markets. A few health perks of cabbage include:
- Rich in vitamin C
- High in vitamin K
- Improves digestion
- Combats inflammation
Clearly, cabbage is a popular veggie for good reason. When farming cabbage, there are steps you can take to muster the best crop yield. Globe Bag Company looks at how to properly harvest and store cabbage, so you can make this harvest season a profitable one.
Tips for Harvesting Cabbage
- When the cabbage’s head feels solid and firm, it’s ready to be cut from the base. Use a sharp knife to sever the crop’s base. If the head feels flimsy, give it more time to mature.
- When cutting, leave some of the stalk so more heads can form to create a second harvest.
- If you don’t wish to cut the stalk, you can pull the cabbage up with all its roots.
Tips for Storing Cabbage
- Cabbage must be kept in a cold and moist environment. The storage temperature may range anywhere from 32 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. You should keep humidity at about 95 percent. Garden storage mounds and pits can help achieve this atmosphere for your crops.
- If storing in a garden storage mound or pit, dig a two-and-a-half-foot hole, lining it with straw for insulation. Cabbages should be placed roots up. Then, cover them with more straw and a tarp or burlap sack. Leave any outer leaves when storing your cabbage, as they keep best in mounds and pits this way.
- If you must store your cabbage in a refrigerator, know that it can remain in good condition for up to four weeks. Before placing in the fridge, remove any loose leaves, clip the stem, and wrap each cabbage head in a damp paper towel.
With all our tips on how to properly harvest and store cabbage, you can be sure to have a profitable season. Globe Bag Company has stock brand and unlabeled mesh cabbage bags
to make your cabbages easier to haul to and from the farmers’ market! If you harvest more than just cabbage, check out the rest of our expansive bag inventory for additional products to help you properly store and transport your delicious fresh goods.